Automatic reasons for disqualification:
- Leaving a teammate behind
- Participating in a mode other than "on-foot"
- Use of any GPS-based navigation device
- Littering on course
- Traversing on or through off-limit areas
- Non-assistance to person in danger
- Not following race rules
On the Race Course
- SOLO racers are allowed. All TEAMS must consist of either 2, 3 or 4 persons. If a team mate drops, the remaining team members may continue on with the race as an unranked team.
- Each racer/team will visit checkpoints that are described on the clue sheet. You may visit the checkpoints in ANY order. You may visit as many checkpoints as you wish. Each checkpoint is assigned a point value. There will be a cut-off time for race completion. The team that collects the most points in the least amount of time will be the winner.
- Points are deducted for overtime at the rate of 10 points per minute of overtime.
- Each racer/team will receive a control card (passport). You will punch the control card at each checkpoint in the associated square.
- There will be no penalty for a missed checkpoints.
- All original members of each team must check in together at each checkpoint. All members of each team must remain within 100 feet of each other at all times during the event. All team members must cross the finish line at the same time.
- Non-racers are not allowed on the course without the approval of the race directors.
- All racers and spectators must follow a "Leave-No-Trace" ethic.
- No littering of any kind will be allowed. Any team found littering will be automatically disqualified.
- Racers must follow race instructions and avoid all off-limits areas (disqualification).
- Racers must exclusively travel on foot under their own power during the race. Any team using motorized transportation will be disqualified.
- Racers will not be allowed to receive support from non-racers (disqualification).
- Racers should use cell phones in the event of an emergency. If cell phone usage is not possible, the emergency distress signal is 3 short blasts of the whistle repeated at intervals. Racers/teams will provide assistance to those racers in emergency situations.
- Teams must carry all required gear throughout the race.
- Gear that is modified in any way that is deemed non-usable by the race staff will result in an immediate disqualification and removal of the team from the race course for safety reasons.
- Each individual team member must wear a race number at all times.
- GPS-based navigation devices are not allowed. Any team found using a GPS-based navigation device will be automatically disqualified, pulled from the race course, and banned from all Bonk Hard Racing events for a minimum of 12 months.
- All participants must be at least 18 years of age. If you would like to race and you are under the age of 18, you will need parental consent as well a race official permission prior to registration. The parent or guardian must also sign the Release of Liability Waiver before the race.
- The time recorded by the Bonk Hard Racing staff will be the official time.
- Grievances shall be given to Bonk Hard Racing in writing within one hour of the completion of the race.
- Rules may be added or changed at any time before the event. Racers are responsible for knowing the rules before the race starts.
- Racers must sign all waivers in order to race.
- No illegal drugs shall be used during the event.
- Bonk Hard Racing is not responsible for stolen, lost, or damaged equipment.
- The Race Director reserves the right to alter the course before and during the event based on course conditions and/or flow of the racers along the course.
Penalties and disqualification can result from not following any of the stated rules, not carrying required gear, not having race numbers visible, not helping a person in danger, and unsportsmanlike conduct.
If required, additional rules and penalties will be added and announced through the website Updates section prior to race start.
All decisions of the Bonk Hard Racing staff will be final.
Any racer/team that is caught cheating will be banned from all Bonk Hard Racing events for a minimum of 12 months.